Summer is here and panic sets in – it’s time to reveal that bod to the world
A few simple steps of lifestyle changes and knowing the do’s and don’ts of exercise will help to get you that summer beach body you desire. So here’s the low-down on slimming down and toning up.
Be prepared to put in the work: Those celebrity bodies you see in magazines and on TV don’t come easy. You are going to have to be stricter with what you eat and drink and train at the gym at least three times per week.
Nutrition is key: You don’t have to go on a quick-fix diet and cut out everything you enjoy, you just need to eat right 80 per cent of the time and the other 20 per cent won’t hurt your progression too much. Reduce your carb intake (especially in the evening) cut down the alcohol and eat plenty of meat, fish and veg. Have your three meals a day and a mid-morning and mid-afternoon healthy snack (fruit, nuts, seeds and raw veg).
Treat yourself: That’s right… if you find it too hard cutting everything out in one go give yourself a healthy challenge. Eat right Monday to Friday, don’t drink and stay away from the sweets and chocolates. Come Saturday and Sunday you can reward yourself with some of the things you enjoy. Don’t overdo it though, you don’t want to cancel out all of that hard work done in the week do you?
Short but sweet: Exercise doesn’t have to be a two-hour long slog in the gym, pounding away on the treadmill and cross-trainer. With the right advice you can get a far more beneficial workout done and dusted in 45 minutes. Don’t get us wrong, it won’t be an easy 45 minutes but going at it hard will speed your metabolism up, meaning you burn calories when you’re not even at the gym.
Don’t avoid the weights: This goes for all males and females. The stronger your muscles are the more efficient your body will be at burning fat. And before you girls kick-off, the facts are that weights will not make you bigger. Women do not have enough testosterone in their bodies to be able to build masses of muscle. What lifting weights will do is give you a nice shape with feminine curves. (Make sure you get advice from a trainer before you start though to avoid causing yourself any injuries.)
Get help: If you’re serious about getting in shape, don’t be afraid to ask for help. Personal trainers and fitness coaches are there for your benefit and will help you reach your goals faster and safer. Personal training doesn’t have to be expensive and not only will you see the physical benefits you will undertake a lifestyle change to ensure you don’t revert back to your old ways after the summer.
Take a picture: Snap a before selfie in the mirror and keep it accessible (on your phone or tablet) so you can see it daily. When you feel like having that glass of wine or chocolate, look at the picture and remind yourself why you shouldn’t cave in just yet. If you can find a picture of yourself in the past with the body shape you were happy with, keep it handy too. This will help you stay focused – if you have been there before you know you can get there again!
FIVE POINT QUICK FIT PLAN
1. Cardio – 30minutes of interval training. Try doing one-minute fast run on the treadmill followed by one-minute walking. Ensure your fast run is enough to make you want to stop at the one-minute mark.
2. Resistance – Do big compound exercises such as squats, deadlifts and press-ups. These will burn more calories than the bicep curl and tricep extensions and speed up your metabolism meaning you’ll burn calories faster. Girls, don’t worry, these exercises will not make you muscly.
3. Stretch – Regular stretching will aid your workouts. You will feel stronger, your exercises will feel safer and your aches and pains will be reduced.
4. Try a class – Classes such as spinning, bootcamp and body pump are sure-fire ways to hit it hard and eat away at those calories. If you are looking for a bit of fun try zumba to get you in the mood for summer.
5. Rest – This is the most important point. No matter how hard you push yourself, your body will not change unless it gets the rest it requires. Alternating your workout days with a rest day is the best way to train meaning you come back strong and hit each workout at 110 per cent.